A few do’s and don’ts of online dating
If you are new to the world of online dating and don’t know its finer nuances, then you need to keep the following points in mind:
1. Create a screen name that is interesting. Avoid using one that is too sexy or hints at marriage. A screen name that includes your name should also be avoided. A screen name that is based on your looks may be most appealing to men.
2. You may be tempted to send e-mails to all the attractive guys with your zip code. If you are a little patient you my find that some of those men will contact you. If someone you fancy does not contact you, send him a short e-mail and then wait for him to follow up.
3. Avoid answering any questions you would not answer on a first date. Don’t tell your date anything about your income or past relationships. It is not a good idea to tell him about how much you want to get married.
4. Include more than one photograph. Men find the visual aspect much more attractive. If you post many photos, a man will get a better idea about how you look and whether you are his type, before he meets you.
5. Don’t communicate with a person who refuses sending you his photograph. He may have something to hide.
6. A person who only sends you his picture or his profile may not be worth a response. If he doesn’t have the time to write you an e-mail, it is not worth wasting your time on him.
7. Always wait at least 24 hours before you respond to your date’s e-mail. If you respond too quickly, he may get the impression that you are too desperate or that you have too much free time.
8. Don’t log on to your personal website or answer e-mails on a Friday or Saturday. You must give the impression that you are not available, even if you are.
9. If a man does not respond, stop e-mailing him. If he is really interested in meeting you, he will contact you and ask you out for a date.
10. If a guy doesn’t ask you out even after four e-mails you need to think about where the relationship is going. Keep mentioning that you are going out with friends and consider stopping all communication with him.
11. There is no need to keep your e-mails short. Sticking to three-line e-mails can seem strange to someone who sends you a long e-mail.